Also known as drumstick or Malunggay, the plant moringa is frequently used in South-Indian cuisine due to its unique texture and taste. The tree is found in Africa and Asia and all of its parts, i.e. the pods, fruits, flowers, roots, and bark are edible and they have an abundance of nutrients. Moringa is considered to be a very beneficial plant, however, do we know we? Let’s take a look at what it has to offer:
- The seeds of moringa produce edible oil known as Ben oil and it’s very similar to the nutritive value of olive oil, i.e. it’s rich in antioxidants and has an indefinite shelf life, amazing, right?
- Believe it or not, moringa has three times more iron than spinach!
- Moringa tea is an excellent way to start the morning because it will increase your energy levels and you will have enough energy for the whole day
- Moringa has four times more vitamin A than carrots and it’s also rich in beta-carotene
- Moringa supplements made from moringa leaves and pods are much better than over-the-counter vitamins and supplements since they don’t contain synthetic ingredients
- Moringa has twice more protein per gram than yogurt
- Moringa is three times richer in potassium than bananas
- Moringa has seven times more vitamin C than oranges
- Moringa has four times more calcium than milk
How to prepare moringa tea:
If you have the tree in your garden, harvest some fresh leaves and then leave them to dry at room temperature by putting them in a brown paper bag with few holes. Hang the bag in some cool area of your home. After 10 to 14 days, the leaves should be dry enough to use. Remove the leaves from the paper bag and shred or pulverize them.
Add some of the shredded moringa leaves to a cup; add boiling water, a bit of lemon, and honey. Stir the content and enjoy!
The benefits of moringa tea
Since it is rich in vitamin and antioxidants, this tea will clear your mind and increase your energy levels. This tea is a great replacement of your morning cup of coffee. Your body will be detoxified, your immune system nourished, and you will lose weight in a healthy way.
If you don’t have a moringa tree in your garden, you can always purchase store-bought moringa tea. However, buy only 100% organic tea and tea from trusted brands.